The Ultimate Guide To Social Media Advertising For Your Business
It’s been termed quite daunting and time-consuming but a very successful digital marketing strategy… it’s social media advertising.
This practice helps to increase the number of visits to a website through advertisements on various social media platforms. But, for social media marketing to be effective, you need to follow a series of steps.
Get to know them below.
Summary: Social media has so many options for advertising that it can seem a bit overwhelming at first. For this reason, we have created a definitive guide to social media marketing.
Living in the digital age, we are constantly exposed to social networks. Why? Because with them it is possible to communicate and share content quickly, efficiently, and in real-time.
From the perspective of marketing within a company, regardless of its size, social media has become a marketing channel that all companies need to take advantage of to be successful.
Also, if you have a social media strategy, you will get and see the results first hand.
Sounds simple, right?
But it has its level of complexity.
The social media strategy of your company or brand must be successful to achieve tangible results. And, for this, effort and investment are necessary to achieve success.
If you want to grow your online business, you need to understand how social media works.
It is imperative to stay up-to-date to know what the latest social media trends are and, at the same time, understand the algorithms of various platforms, which are subject to constant change.
With social media evolving so quickly, you need to ask yourself, “How can you use social media to get the best results?”
There are more than 3 billion active users of social networks around the world.
For this reason, you need a clear understanding of how to engage with the different audiences you are trying to reach for your strategy to be effective.
The variety of possibilities can seem overwhelming at first glance. That’s why we’ve created this definitive guide to social media marketing. In the following sections, we will touch on various topics related to this interesting topic.
Types of Social Networks
Businesses can choose from many social networks to build their presence online. With the use of these networks, it is possible to connect people from all over the world. Next, we present the social networks most used by companies:
And while all of these networks are available to businesses, it may not be wise to develop them all at the same time.
Businesses must think strategically when selecting which networks will be most beneficial for their online presence and obtain optimal results.
This selection will depend on the content that your company generates. For example, if your business doesn’t have a lot of visual content, platforms like Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube may not be ideal for your social media strategy.
However, research shows that the two social networks that all businesses should “be” on are LinkedIn and Facebook. Below you will find a brief breakdown of the different types of social media platforms that your business can use to build and improve its internet presence.
With more than 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook has more users than any other social network. Facebook users are part of a wide range of different demographics, providing an extraordinary means for a business to connect with potential customers around the world. Facebook for Business also provides a variety of tools for users, including options to target different audiences.
The reality is that we are all familiar with the classic 140 (now 280) character social media platform, designed for users to share small bursts of information, known as “tweets.” With more than 330 million monthly active users, Twitter is one of the largest social listening platforms.
This platform allows companies to obtain more information about their customers while keeping up with current trends. It can be used for companies to spread the word about products and services, provide updates and add value to their customer service.
Here are three points to keep in mind when using Twitter to develop your digital strategy:
- Find out who your audience is and what they are talking about.
- Focus on chatting instead of selling.
- Share relevant and engaging content to get retweeted/shared.
Some of the best brands on Twitter have become masters at producing quality content for this 280 character platform to increase their brand exposure.
LinkedIn has become an effective tool for companies engaged in B2B marketing. As the leading lead generation platform, LinkedIn makes it easy to connect with potential customers and consumers at the B2B level. You can filter your target audience by job title, company name, location, etc.
80% of B2B leads come from LinkedIn, and 79% of B2B marketers say that LinkedIn is an important source for generating leads. As one of the top lead generators for companies to build relationships and connect with leads on a B2B level, LinkedIn is a social media platform that provides opportunities to target potential prospects. This is because it makes it easy to create connections with different industries.
Here are eight reasons LinkedIn is the new B2B social media superhero :
- Provides access to multiple industry influencers and decision-makers.
- It is a tool for building a brand.
- Allows alignment with the right prospects.
- This platform has eliminated outdated sales techniques.
- On LinkedIn, you can showcase your skills and those of your company.
- This platform provides B2B marketers with important data on prospects.
- LinkedIn is a way to sell on social networks.
Also, it is a platform to build digital relationships.
Does your brand or company have a consolidated visual identity? Looking to build an account and don’t know where to start? If you answered “yes” to any of the questions, Instagram is the perfect platform to do it!
Instagram has continued to expand rapidly. From the introduction of Instagram stories, IGTV, Reels, and quite attractive advertising opportunities. This social network continues to provide new and exciting updates. Additionally, new applications designed for Instagram continue to dominate the market. As a result, companies and brands must stay current to maintain a competitive advantage on this important platform.
According to HubSpot data, 81% of businesses have decided to use video as a marketing tool in 2020. With video marketing on the rise for businesses, YouTube is one of the leading social media platforms that can help you build your brand’s presence online.
Now we move to the main order of the day…
Thanks to the changing algorithms of many social media platforms, the days of relying solely on organic reach are over. You may have noticed that some social media platforms, like Instagram and Facebook, no longer display content in chronological order. The reason? Their algorithms dictate what to show relevant content or the type of content. “What they think you want to see” first is more important. So if you expect your followers to see everything you post on social media, you need an update.
Suppose you are ready to take the next step in your social media strategy and go beyond organic reach to make sure your content will be visible. In that case, it may be a great time to consider paid advertising on social media.
Paid advertising can be used to target specific audiences: age groups, people with specific interests, or with a specific geographic location.
The first thing is to create a reasonable budget to allocate it to advertising on social networks. Higher spending doesn’t mean a higher return on investment (ROI). Go slowly testing your strategy.
When you have more confidence in paid advertising and see the results, you can consider increasing your investment to drive specific posts or specific types of content.
Second, you need to set goals and objectives for your paid advertising.
What demographic do you want to target?
Paid advertising is the next step in your social media strategy. Now he is looking for new ways to reach a wider audience. Maybe your brand has grown and you now have the budget to invest in social media.
6 Major Challenges Of Advertising On Social Networks
1. Communicate to a very large and diverse audience
There are over 3 billion active users worldwide on social networks. We intuitively think that social networks are reserved for young people, but this is not the case because 42% of the world’s population is active on social networks and those under 24 represent only 26% of users. The market is therefore huge and we understand better why brands communicate more and more via this medium.
2. Advertising Within The Reach Of All Types Of Businesses
It is possible to advertise with a few clicks on social networks. No matter the size of the business or the nature of the product being sold, advertising on social media is accessible to everyone. Gone are the days when advertising was the business of professionals and reserved for large companies that communicated through advertising spots. Today a neighborhood bakery can advertise on social networks and reach a very localized target, which was not possible on nationally broadcast television channels. If you are a manager or owner of a small business or an SME, you can easily advertise on social networks by following our guide.
3. Target your audience.
The key to advertising is knowing how to target your audience:
- Who do I speak to,
- Who are my potential customers,
- What is their purchasing behavior,
- What is their socio-professional category,
- Their age,
- Their gender,
- Their location, etc.
This is because if you are selling newborn clothes, you want to target young parents and not teenagers or singles.
Social networks provide you with tools to effectively and precisely target your customers. You must therefore be able to define it as precisely as possible upstream.
4. Announce Events
Organizing or participating in an event represents an investment on which it is important to communicate astutely.
Communicating about your event will allow you to gain notoriety, visibility, increase the number of participants and their commitment. For example, if you are a ready-to-wear store and you are attending a show to exhibit your new collection, it is important to communicate on social networks.
This includes creating a hashtag for the event, teasing, posting photos and videos. You can also organize a competition game, especially for the event to make your event original and engaging. So use social media advertising to promote your events of any size, and whatever your industry.
5. Communicate about promotions
Your promotions must have a beginning and an end. This end corresponds to the accomplishment of an objective. You must therefore before making a promotion, set a measurable and achievable goal.
This goal can be a specific number of sales or reach a certain number of subscribers. Take the example of a florist who wants to promote their red roses. He must set a measurable, achievable, and time-bound goal. For example, he chooses a promotion period of 3 weeks. An offer should not be free, it should be built on the principle of reciprocity. In our example, to benefit from the promotion, customers must subscribe to the Newsletter. The goal here is to increase the number of newsletter subscribers by +1000. At the end of this period, the promotion ends and it is necessary to analyze whether the objective is reached. Advertising on the internet will allow you to communicate effectively about your promotions and achieve much more important goals.
6. Strengthen its brand image
The success of a business lies in its brand image. The brand image designates the representation of a company perceived by the consumer. The term “branding” is also used to qualify the brand image. On social networks, a brand will have to communicate its values, ethics, and commitments, culture, etc.
If your company’s branding is good, consumers will choose your products over those of your competitors who offer similar products.
5 Tips For Successful Social Media Advertising
- Define your goals: To start your advertising strategy right, you need to define its objectives. To choose an advertising objective, you first need to know what you want to get from your campaign:
- Awareness: increase the visibility and level of awareness of your brand
- Performance: Increase sales, site traffic, or in-store traffic
- Data collection: increase in the number of leads, collection of e-mail addresses
Each campaign you carry out can have a different objective and thus allow you to play on several levers.
Never launch an advertising campaign on social networks without defining its objectives upstream because the results of your campaign may be very far from your needs.
2. Create original ads: As you know, we are constantly exposed to advertising. Social networks are as affected as television or other media. Each Internet user sees a considerable number of advertisements and very few are those that hold their attention. You will therefore need to create original advertisements, which set you apart from your competitor
Good advertising must be surprising:
It must appeal to and mark the consumer. It must also be appropriate, relevant, and therefore intelligent. You should always stay true to your brand values while trying to deliver interesting advertising to your target audience. You can use different media like photos, videos, infographics, slideshow.
3. Analyze the results of your advertising: You need to be able to measure the impact of your advertising. You can start a test campaign on a small sample with a small budget first before investing more in your campaign. This will allow you to be sure that you have correctly defined your target and that your advertising is engaging.
You can test different types of advertising and compare the results before launching your final campaign. You can perform A / B tests. The A / B test (or A / B testing) is a marketing technique that consists of offering several variants that differ according to a single criterion (for example for a pastry, you can test two identical ads by changing only the featured cake) to determine which version gives the best results with consumers (more clicks, more likes, longer video viewing, etc.).
The various social networks provide you with very powerful tools to measure the impact and results of your advertising.
4. Adapt your ads for mobile: You must adapt your advertising to the mobile format. On mobile, the screen size is reduced and attention is reduced compared to a computer. Also, a user may be walking in the street, or even to the toilet.
Therefore you must design ads suitable for small screen sizes and offer easily “consumable” content. Video is the most suitable advertising medium for mobiles. So feel free to design and promote videos.
5. Test social networks: Now that you have a better understanding of the issues and have read our tips for optimizing your social media advertising, it’s time to choose the social media that best suits your needs. We advise you to test the different social networks beforehand to know which one to choose.
YouTube is the most active social platform just ahead of Facebook. Far behind are Instagram and Twitter.
These social networks are called BtoC (Business to Customer) because they allow a brand to advertise intended for consumers. Linkedin is a rather special social network since it will allow you to advertise BtoB (Business to Business), that is to say, that you can direct your advertisements, not to consumers, but to other businesses.
The advertising specificities of the 5 major social networks
- Facebook advertising: Facebook is an online social network that brings together more than two billion users around the world. In France, Facebook has 38 million monthly active users. It is therefore a huge panel of potential customers for your business. Facebook usage infographic
Goals: First of all, Facebook will make you define your marketing objective to help you build a strategy adapted to your needs. Depending on the goal you choose, Facebook will optimize your ad delivery differently. The audience that will receive your ads will be different depending on the criteria you entered.
Target audience: It is important to target your audience well. Your advertising campaign will be all the more effective if you have taken these 4 criteria into account beforehand:
- Demographics: Find people based on characteristics such as gender, age, education level, dating status, job title, place of work, etc.
- The Location: Target people who are located near your establishment or in a region that interests you. You can adjust this criterion according to your preferences.
- Interests: Target people according to their tastes, their hobbies, and what interests them.
- Behaviors: Reach people based on their buying behaviors, the device they use, and their other activities.
- Where to position your Facebook ads? Facebook offers you to position your advertising in an automated way. Most of the time, it is advisable to start with the “automatic placements” option to be able to analyze which are the best performing investments. Once you’ve gathered enough information, you can readjust this to focus on the best performing locations.
- How to build your advertising: You will need to carefully choose the teaser, image, title of your ad, description, and thee “call to action” button: image showing the location of the teaser, the image, the title of your advertisement source
- The cost: Facebook offers you two options:
- Pay per click (CPC), that is, the performance of the advertisement. In this case, the advertiser sets a daily budget with a minimum stake.
- Pay per view (CPM, cost per thousand impressions). Each time the page is displayed to 1000 Facebook users.
If you go for CPC, your goal is for users to click on your ad (conversion logic).
If you opt for CPM: The goal is that as many people as possible see your ad (branding).
Most: Very attractive cost compared to other social networks
Facebook offers you very good targeting of your audience
Rich and diverse content
The reporting tools are easy to use and very comprehensive
2. Instagram advertising: Instagram uses the same ad manager as Facebook, the latter having bought it in April 2012. Today, it has more than 300 million users worldwide.
- Goals: Just like on Facebook, you will need to fill in all of the following criteria:
- Campaign objective, Audience, placements, budget, ad format, media, and additional content.
- Campaign goal, audience, placements, budget, ad format, media, and additional content
You will have the choice between different advertisements:
- Image advertising: A single image, in landscape or square format.
- Video advertising: Videos can be up to 60 seconds long
- .Carousel ad: Has at least 2 images or videos to scroll.
- Slideshow advertisement: Up to 10 images can be looped on the slideshow video.
- Ads in Stories:
- Advertise in Instagram Stories with image or video content.
The cost: Depending on your budget and goals, you can opt for pay-per-click (CPC) and pay-per-view (CPM, cost per thousand impressions).
Most: Four “call to action” icons are offered to companies to support their campaigns:
- A “Shop Now” icon to redirect the mobile user (an individual who accesses Internet content or mobile applications from a mobile phone) to your sales area.
- An “Install Now” icon to encourage mobile users to download an application.
- A “Sign Up” icon to encourage the user to subscribe, to generate contacts.
- A “Learn More” icon to generate visits to your business site.
3. Twitter advertising: Twitter is a microblogging social network. It allows a user to send short messages (tweets) over the internet for free. Twitter has 336 million monthly active users.
Goals: Just like on Facebook or Instagram, you will first have to define the objectives of your advertising.
Twitter offers you the following objectives:
- Encourage users to download your app.
- Increase the number of your subscribers by sponsoring your Tweets.
- Drive traffic to your site by getting users to visit it.
- Get the word out about your business or brand by increasing engagement through your Tweets
- Retrieve email addresses to generate leads
- Twitter advertising objectives
- The cost: Twitter charges you for performance:
- App Installs: Pay the number of clicks on the app or installs.
- Subscribers: Pay only the subscribers you recruit. You are not charged for other types of commitments.
- Commitments via Tweets: Pay only the initial commitment.
- You are not billed for the following organic commitments.
- Sponsored Video Views: Pay for the sponsored video views.
- Website clicks or conversions: Pay for the number of clicks on the link to your site.
- Re-engagements with the app: Pay the number of clicks on the app.
- In-stream video views (pre-roll): Pay for the number of views of the in-stream video
- Brand awareness or branding: Pay the number of impressions (CPM).
Most: Twitter offers a new “Quick Promote” feature for VSEs and SMEs. It is about highlighting the most successful tweets of the company, to reach an even larger audience.
Choose a Tweet to promote
Click on “Sponsor this Tweet”
Select the location to target
Define your budget
Confirm your expense
4. LinkedIn advertising: LinkedIn is a social network with 400 million users. It is intended for BtoB (business to business).
Goals: Linkedin offers you 3 distinct types of objectives:
- Sponsored InMail:
- Create a personalized message to promote your conversions.
- Perform A / B tests (offer several variants of a product by changing a single criterion to define the version that most appeals to your audience).
- Text Ads: Create and personalize your ads
- Collect email addresses and traffic to your site
Publish content on the news feed, which is the most visited page on LinkedIn
Target your audience precisely, thanks to the data collected on Linkedin.
You have 3 options to display your advertisement on Linkedin:
- Text-only advertising
- A textual advertisement illustrated with an image
- Video ad
The cost: You choose a budget and depending on your goals, you use it however you want.
Most: Reach an extremely targeted audience: Only address professionals
- YouTube advertising: YouTube only offers video ads. YouTube offers help with video creation and an advertising specialist can help you set up your account for free. Goals: YouTube offers two distinct objectives:
Promotion of your website or your store: If you choose this objective, you should focus your video on promoting a product or your store.
Promotion of your YouTube channel: If you have a YouTube channel, you can promote it by explaining the topics covered on the channel and by encouraging your future customers to subscribe to your channel.
Advertising formats: TrueView InStream video ads play just before the user views the video they clicked.
Bumper ads only last six seconds and are effective in capturing the attention of mobile users on smartphones. You can use them alone or combine them with a TrueView campaign. You will need to deliver a short, punchy message.
Discovery TrueView ads appear on the YouTube home page or when users search YouTube.
This format allows you to aim for an even more precise target by filtering with certain associated searches.
The cost: You only pay when a user performs one of the following actions: Watch your ad for 30 seconds
View your entire adclick on your ad.
Youtube belongs to Google, you can manage your targeting and your budget directly with Google Adwords tools.
Once you have defined your target and your budget, Youtube offers you a weekly audience estimate. youtube weekly audience estimate.
The cost of serving an advertisement on Youtube is calculated at the “cost per view” (CPV) which corresponds to the average amount paid each time an ad is viewed.
Other factors affect the price of a Youtube ad, such as the airing period.
The Christmas period is for example very popular with general public advertisers, which can increase the price of your Youtube ad.
Most: The video format is highly viral, so your ad will be more easily shared. Videos are available from all types of media: computer, tablet, mobile.
Tracking your performance on social media is key to achieving a successful social media strategy. Analytics help measure social media efforts over a specified period. This becomes relevant when evaluating content performance.
It is also an indication of when you are looking for ways to improve and refine your social media strategy. At the end of the day, it’s critical to find out what works and what doesn’t.
You can start by identifying the key metrics that you would like to analyze. Social media metrics are the data and statistics that provide you with information about the performance of your social media marketing.
Some key metrics that all companies should measure are:
- Engagement – The number of unique people who have liked, clicked on, commented on, or shared your post or page.
- Impressions: the number of times your content is displayed and whether or not it is clicked.
- Reach – The number of unique people who have viewed your posts.
Many tools can help in gathering information when it comes to detailing your analysis over a set time. Most social networks have their analytics tools built into individual platforms, which include:
Analyzing the performance of social networks is essential for all companies. Evaluating key metrics and statistics will help you determine which social networks are performing the best, ultimately helping improve your business results.
Social media has become one of the most critical aspects of digital marketing. In today’s digital world, we live and breathe social media. People spend several hours a day checking the latest news and making sure they stay up to date with the latest trends.
No matter how big or small your business or brand is, developing a strong social media strategy will help you grow your business. Take advantage of all the tools and resources available to you and create and share content that tells the story of your company.
And, Social media advertising has become a must if you want to promote your brand. You will need to take into account the various tips we have given you and get started in creating and delivering your ads. We hope that this guide has enabled you to see more clearly among the different social networks available.
Set goals and objectives, go back and refine your strategy, and always look for new ways to engage with your audience. It will take time, but investing time and resources in your social media strategy will help your business succeed.
If you want to entrust the management of your social networks to professionals, ask us for a free quote and we will guide your business on the path to success.